Old Masters: Australia’s Great Bark Artists showcases the work of Australia’s great bark painters: Aboriginal artists from Arnhem Land who carried one of the oldest continuing traditions of art into the modern era.
The exhibition includes artworks, plus carvings that share designs often used in bark paintings. It celebrates the knowledge, genius and work of over 40 master artists, including Narritjin Maymuru, Yirawala, Mawalan Marika, and their contemporaries.
The original exhibition was on show at the National Museum of Australia in Canberra from 6 December 2013 to 20 July 2014, and has since been to:
- National Museum of China, Beijing, 4 July to 2 September 2018
- Shanghai Natural History Museum, 15 November 2018 to 6 January 2019
The international version of the Old Masters exhibition is touring China in 2019:
- Shenzhen Museum, 13 April to 26 May 2019
- Sichuan Museum, 22 June to 26 August 2019
- National Taiwan Museum, 4 October 2019 to 9 February 2020
SOURCE: National Museum of Australia